Monday, October 25, 2004

Zook Out! Spurrier In?

Today, the University of Florida fired Ron Zook.

Zook was hired 3 years ago when Steve Spurrier left Florida to coach the Washington Redskins.

Spurrier left the Redskins after two disastrous seasons. The Monk believes that had more to do with the Washington Redskins than the Ol' Ball Coach.

Florida has started its search for a new head football coach and Spurrier is at the top of their list. He has said that he is open to discussions.

"I'll cross that bridge if it comes to that," Spurrier told the Orlando Sentinel. "The thing I've tried to do all this year is not be lingering around, acting like I'm waiting for another guy's job. I don't believe that's the right way to do it. But now that he doesn't have a job, I guess there will be some discussion. We'll see what happens."


The Ol' Ball Coach

Steve Spurrier is a class act. He ran one of the cleanest and strictest programs in the NCAA during his 12-year tenure at Florida. And Florida was always one of the top Division I-A teams in the nation -- in other words, he proved that you can have high standards and not only be competitive, but win National Championships.

Spurrier's best known for his offensive genius, but his teams had great defenses and special teams too.


Will he return to the Gators?

I'd love to see Spurrier return to college football and I believe we will see him coaching somewhere next year.

Florida knows this and will try their best to bring him back, rather than have him as an opposing coach at a school such as, say, LSU or Ole Miss.

I don't really care where he coaches just as long as he comes back.

College football needs him more than ever.

No comments: