Sunday, July 31, 2005

I Shoulda Said ...

. . . "back in a few days". I was actually back in a couple before I was back in a few. Damn that sounded too much like John Kerry. Anyway, I've been on the road a bit lately and when I got home from the first trip, I thought about blogging -- and that's as far as I got when it was time to hit the road again.

Making a trip is even more fun with Lizzie. She is such a good listener. She just sits there listening to me ramble on ... until I start singing. She cocks her head from side to side, then licks my face as if that might stop me and when that doesn't work, she nips my ear -- and that does tend to get her point across. She seems to be telling me that she's pretty sure that Hank did not do it this a'way.

She prefers my running commentary on the scenery and other drivers. I'm afraid she's learned a few bad phrases, such as "put the fucking cellphone down!" I'm trying to check myself on that .. the bad language, that is .. but then it's not so much the words as my tone of voice. The first time I blurted that out, she looked at me as if to say: WhatdidIdoWhatdidIdo .. Idon'thaveafuckingcellphone .. Idon'tevenknowwhatafuckingcellphoneis. Then I felt like shit for making her think I was referring to her, so I petted her and told her that it's ok, girl, not you, you're a good girl, and then she licked my face and all was well in the world again.

She was in bad shape when I found her/she found me. She was malnourished, skinny, and hungry and had ticks, hot (raw) spots, and a thin, patchy coat. She smelled like the swamp water she'd evidently been traveling through.

She is much better now -- gaining weight, free of ticks and hot spots, and growing a beautiful new coat. She smells better, too.

Ain't she purdy?



She's learned "sit" and we're working on "stay" and "search". She's also learned other new words such as:
ball, tug, socks, gator (a stuffed toy .. but now that I think about it, teaching her to associate the word "gator" with a warm-n-fuzzy toy is probably not a good idea), Mobile Bay (she wags her tail and leans forward in the seat), biscuit, snausage, puperoni ... plus, bacon, eggs & grits (she approves of me sharing) and truck (she loves to ride) ... oh, and let's not forget "put the fucking cellphone down!"

Maybe I can teach her to growl when she sees drivers talking on cellphones. And maybe I can teach myself to growl instead of cussing. Probably easier to teach her to cuss.

The cats have accepted her. Doc, fully; Wyatt, begrudgingly. And she has accepted them, although when Doc started grooming her this morning, Lizzie pulled her head back and cocked her ears at weird angles. I don't think she was quite ready for that -- and no, I couldn't get to my video camera soon enough.

I've got a lot of blog reading to catch up on. I love reading blogs. There are so many interesting, talented people out there writing about this and that. I asked myself this question the other day: When was the last time you read the newspaper/magazine journalists you used to read all the time? With the exception of Ann Coulter and Michael Barone, and reporters, Bill Gertz and Rowan Scarborough, I haven't read, on a regular basis, any of the nationally-known journalists in a long, long time.

Anyway, I'm back for a couple of days before I leave again for a few days.

3 comments:

Housewife said...

You travel a lot.

Beautiful pup.

Stacy said...

Good Lord; it took me awhile to figure out it was a dog you were talking about. Can you imagine what I was thinking? I think I've been sitting here too long today.

MerryMadMonk said...

Carol -- yes, a lot lately. Thanks for the compliment. I'll pass it along :)

Stacy -- you've been reading too many of those sitemeter reports showing all the google search terms :p

I laughed my ass off at those posts.