Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Meandering Monk Musings

No, the gators didn't eat me.

I love the blogosphere and blogging, but it has (obviously) not been a priority lately. I left for a short trip to the swamps, then I returned to Bama only to make an unexpected/hurry-up trip back to the swamps.

I know, I know. I could've taken the time to leave a note between trips, but ...... hell, I barely remembered to load up Lizzie for the second trip. It's been kinda hectic, but life's like that at times. If it didn't have its ups and downs, it wouldn't be much of a ride.

I doubt I'll be blogging much in the next couple of weeks, but for the record here are my thoughts on some of the issues of the day:

Israel WILL take out Iran's nuke facilities if we do not. Do not doubt it for a moment.

Ronnie Earl should not be practicing law in the United States of America.

William Bennett probably could have used a better example, but he didn't.

Debra Burlingame is an American hero.

Either Judith Miller is hiding something or she is as dumb as a rock. I've read her stuff for several years and I don't think it's the latter.

Racebaiters such as Jessie Jackson, Al Sharpton, Charlie Rangel, and Maxine Waters have jumped the shark. Their tactics no longer work. I think most of the country has had more than enough.

Generals Abizaid and Casey said some pretty important things the other day when they testified before the Senate Armed Services Committee. Did anyone listen?

Why does Mississippi get left out of all the talk about hurricane aftermath? It's New Orleans, New Orleans, New Orleans. Mississippi was hit much worse. Southwest Louisiana got hit worse than New Orleans, too.

It is insane to give billions of dollars to Louisiana politicians. They are corrupt. They have always been corrupt. There is no reason to believe that they won't be corrupt 100 years from now. I say this with the confidence of having lived Louisiana politics up close and personal.

I don't need a law that says it's OK to kill someone before they attempt to kill me. I don't give a fuck what state, nation or continent it is. I'm gonna try my best to be the killer rather than the killee. What about you? So why the fuss over Florida's new law? I'll tell you why: we have too many sissies in this country.

I also don't need a law that says it's OK to shoot at pitbulls that are about to eat kittens. I missed. It was late at night. I was sleepy. My eyes aren't as good as they once were. But I saved the kittens and scared the shit outta the pitbulls ....and the neighbors. A .44 magnum tends to be pretty loud.

The EU wants to share in control of the internet. Piss on the Europeans. Let 'em build their own.

If you didn't watch TV, read a newspaper, or listen to talk radio for a couple of weeks, would you miss anything? Not much. Just like the soap operas. I saw The Young & the Restless for the first time in about 30 years. Guess what? Victor is still tall, dark, handsome, and rich and Nikki is still a vocally appreciative, horizontally accessible, verbally repetitive, light-haired detour off the information super highway.

Muslims in America who don't condemn Islamofascists are not our friends. They are enemies to be dealt with ... now or later.

Saudi Arabia is no friend of the United States. The President and others need to quit saying so.

That woman that President Bush nominated for SCOTUS seems OK to me. If W likes her, I like her. It's certainly stirred up folks. The biggest mistake that I've seen is the manner in which the President and administration officials, to include our beloved First Lady, have defended the decision. It is NOT sexist to be against the woman.

College football season is about at the midway point and ....

Bama is back! Roll Tide!


9 comments:

Stacy said...

Nice to see ya. Our church went to the Mississippi coast to help out because all the crybabies in N.O. are getting the attention. Glad you pointed that out. Take care.

The Gray Tie said...

Roll Tide, indeed! HA! But, I'll be missing this week's game for more important football events; my little ones' football games!

Glad you said something tonight.

Jo said...

Go Tigers :) Glad you're back for a few. I agree about the news talk about nothing but NO .. gag me with a spoon .. Guess I need to e-mail Rush.

GM Roper said...

I'm sure glad that you are back, I was about to take you off the blog roll. Now I don't have to and I've got some more good reading in store by coming here.

Good to see you back.

Nico said...

First of all...Roll Tide!

It is upsetting to see Mississippi get passed over on attention/resources.

I think Mississippi has (wrongly) not gotten the spotlight for several reasons:

1) Torn up stuff doesn't make for good TV like stuff underwater does.

2) Tons of people from all over the country and world have visited NOLA and can point out places they've been on TV. The same can't be said for the Mississippi Gulf Coast.

3) Mississippi may be suffering a "subliminal backlash" of the race debate that's entered the Hurricane Katrina controversy. Kanye West said, "George Bush doesn't like black people." It's unfortunate he brought that up, because the issue is more one of poverty than skin color. Whether the urban poor of New Orleans (mostly black) or the rural poor of Mississippi (mostly white), they're in the same boat.

There's no easy answer, but I hope everyone suffering from that hurricane gets taken care of...no matter what state theyr'e in or what color their skin is.

Beth said...

All right, you got your blog-vacation. Now get back to work here! :-)

Beth said...

Oh yeah, I forgot to say ROLL TIDE too! (Duh.)

7 and 0! We are BACK!

Alabama said...

Man oh man, I thought I was offline for a long time. By the way, this is also The Gray Tie. Where are you?

Cathy said...

yes, where oh where are you?