Monday, June 19, 2006

The Intolerant, Judgmental GM Roper

... speaks for the intolerant, judgmental Merry Mad Monk and, no doubt, many others.

GM Roper offers clarity to an otherwise confused and politically correct society:

Tolerance, as foisted on the denizens of western civilization is an outgrowth of the '60s and '70s growth of "self esteemism" and psychobabble such as "I'm O.K., You're OK." Having participated in some of that dreck, I know whereof I speak, but it didn't take me long to figure out that "When everything is tolerated, then nothing is sacred and evil is unrestrained."

Tolerance: tol•er•ance pronunciation – tol-er-ens:

The capacity for or the practice of recognizing and respecting the beliefs or practices of others."

Recognizing and respecting the beliefs or practices of others - nothing is sacred and evil is unrestrained. Yes, these two concepts are greatly connected and should be, I repeat, should be a strong hint to the rational individual that tolerance is not the way to practice human relationships. Yet, there is room for tolerance, and that too should be obvious to the rational among us. For example, I am more than willing to tolerate the religious beliefs of others when those other's beliefs also tolerate the religious beliefs of others. As a Christian, I tolerate the beliefs of Hinduists, Confucionists, animists, Jewish folk etc. I'm intolerant to a large degree, though I accept their freedom to worship as they choose, of those who believe that their faith is the only "allowable" faith. I do not believe, for example, that as a Methodist, all Baptists are doomed to hellfire and brimstone. Nor do I accept that only the Roman Catholic faith is the only way to heaven. Nor do I accept that Mohammad is the ONLY prophet of Allah or even that Islam is the "one true faith."

I also don't accept any religion that says human sacrifice is acceptable, or that infanticide is "good" or that making burnt offerings to a statue is the same as any other faith. I do not believe that a faith has the obligation to convert everyone else on the pain of death or the imposition of dihimmitude. I do not accept any belief or custom that demands female circumcision so that the female cannot enjoy the act of sex.

I am not willing to tolerate the existence of a cult of murderers who kill in the name of Allah, or Baal, or any other belief system and this is because I am judgmental. Oh yes, I also believe that there is also nothing wrong with being judgmental. Read on

1 comment:

GM Roper said...

awww shucks... you'll embarrass me. NOT! Thanks for the link and the kind comments.